How do I get a Licence?

If you have a genuine connection with a particular church or chapel but you are unable to satisfy the legal requirement to marry there, you may apply to the Faculty Office for the Archbishop of Canterbury’s Special Marriage Licence.

Special licences are given by the Archbishop under powers he and his predecessors have exercised since 1533. They are not issued automatically. If you think you need a Special Licence, you should enquire about its availability before making any other preparations for the wedding. This is something you should discuss with the priest who is to conduct the ceremony.

If you wish to apply for a Special Licence or need further information, you should check the information on this website, or contact the Faculty Office for advice.