What is the process?

A couple who know they need a Special Licence should apply as soon as the minister has agreed to conduct the service.

Applications can be made online up to 18 months in advance of the proposed wedding date. You should have spoken with, and obtained the support of, the minister in charge of the church where you hope to marry before applying for a Special Licence. Other arrangements should not be made until it has been confirmed that the application has been approved and a Licence will issue.

Where either or both of the parties are non-UK/Irish nationals, the couple are both required to attend an interview at the Faculty Office in Westminster. If all is in order, the affidavit will be sworn at that same appointment.